Waldport is a quaint beach town on the Oregon Coast’s Alsea Bay, best known for its abundant crabbing and fishing.
More than 5,000 vessels frequent Alsea Bay and River every year to catch Dungeness crabs, or to take advantage of the area’s superb Chinook salmon season, which takes place in the fall.
Yachats, just south of Waldport, is considered by many to be a sister city to Waldport, and is also a most-loved Oregon coast destination. This charming beach town offers great food and drink, a stunning coastline, and all kinds of outdoor recreation right outside your door.
A stay in Waldport or Yachats is the perfect opportunity to avoid the crowds, while exploring the scenic surrounding areas. The Alsea Bay Bridge soars over the river estuary, connecting the town of Newport to the north and Yachats to the south. However you decide to spend your time in Waldport/Yachats, you will be rewarded with soaring vistas of sea, sand, and sky.
Are you ready for a peaceful escape away from the city? Meredith Lodging has a wide selection of Waldport and Yachats vacation rentals, many that are pet-friendly and with amazing views of the ocean, too! We can help you find and book the perfect Oregon Coast vacation rental.
Family Friendly Activities in Waldport and Yachats
Hop on a bike. Green Bike Co-Op is a community bike program that provides free bike rentals for anyone in the town of Waldport. Park the car and enjoy peddling around this quaint coastal town.
Explore tide pools and comb the beach for treasures. Seal Rock State Wayside has large off-shore rock formations which are home to seals, sea lions, sea birds, and other marine life. The wayside includes interesting tide pools, as well as excellent ocean views, and a sandy beach.
Driftwood Beach State Wayside provides access to the ocean and picnic facilities scattered among the shore pine. The area offers a wide, flat, sandy beach, perfect for beach combing and enjoying beautiful sunsets. Parking lot is currently closed.
Cape Perpetua scenic area is a large forested headland located 2 miles from Yachats. It is part of the Siuslaw National Forest offering lush, green trails, and majestic headlands. There is a visitor center that offers a phenomenal view of the Pacific Ocean. Cape Perpetua offers lots of great adventures and activities for families, including a mobile app to help explore the coastal forest. Ranger-led programs and guided walks are available throughout the year, including winter and spring whale watching events.
Hit the trails. Located in the center of Waldport, the Crestline Park Woodland Trail takes you on a journey through pristine forest and coastal habitat. The trail is a 1.6 mile, lightly trafficked, out and back loop that features a river and is good for all skill levels. Dogs are welcome, but must be kept on leash.
Discover and explore at one of the nation’s top aquariums. An icon of Newport, the Oregon Coast Aquarium offers educational programs and impressive exhibits highlighting marine mammals, fishes, seabirds, invertebrates, and plants primarily native to the Oregon Coast.
Waldport and Yachats Outdoor Recreation Ideas
Get out on the water. If you are looking for an easy kayaking adventure with fantastic bird watching, Lint Slough is the perfect spot. Lint Slough is a small area of backwater off the Alsea River estuary where you can see herons, egrets, mallards, hawks, and bald eagles. Access to the bay is available at the Port of Alsea dock for an $8.00 fee.
- Need to rent a kayak? Head to Coastal River Adventures. The friendly and knowledgeable crew also offer guided recreational and fishing tours of the Alsea River, Siletz River, and surrounding areas.
- Crabbing is king in Alsea Bay, an estuary literally crawling with Dungeness crab. Waldport has everything you need to give it a try – public docks, along with crab gear, boat rentals and licenses from local outfitter Dock of the Bay Marina. They will even cook your catch!
Tee time! Crestview Golf Club is a family-owned and family friendly course, perfect for all skill levels. This scenic 9-hole course is just up the street from the beach, and features modern greens with multiple tiers and lots of movement. The signature golf hole is #4, a par three that shoots over the course’s lake.
Shop local. Take a stroll through the Yachats Famers Market. Wares from farmers and artisans include a wonderful selection of fresh, locally grown produce, fine foods, and handmade crafts. This event is seasonal, so check the website for opening hours and dates.
All is well at Thor’s Well. Thor’s Well is a visually stunning natural occurrence that will take your breath away. Most historians agree that Thor’s Well began as a sea cave that over time has been dug out by the impressive force of the sea to create a sinkhole just outside of Yachats. This “hole in the rock” is a spectacular way to witness the power of the ocean as the waves roll into the 20-foot-deep cave, and then come roaring back out of the top of the cave. High tide and stormy weather are the most popular times to visit. We recommend taking in this mesmerizing site from the viewpoints if the ocean appears too rough on the day of your visit.
Best Places to Eat and Drink in Waldport and Yachats
- Pacific Sourdough is a small artisan bakery serving natural leavened sourdough breads, delicious pastries, and specialty desserts – like their infamous Napoleons and Pecan Whiskey Bars. They are only open from 10am – 3pm on Thursdays and Saturdays, and favorites are known to sell out, so it’s recommended that you get there early!
- Espresso 101 is a drive-thru espresso spot serving mochas, lattes, brewed coffee, iced and blended frappes, chai tea, and baked goods.
- Yachats’ favorite neighborhood coffeehouse,Green Salmon Coffee Company offers organic paninis, bagels and lox, and freshly baked pastries, plus fair-trade beans, and premium teas.
- Looking for a great meal and a relaxing place to hang out? Hilltop Café-Bistro is the perfect spot for you. Their menu has something for everyone, from delicious pancakes and egg dishes to handcrafted burgers and sandwiches. They also serve espresso and a wide selection of craft beer and wine, which you can enjoy from their dog friendly patio! Currently open every day from 8am – 2pm.
- Azul is a family favorite serving authentic and fresh Mexican food in a friendly and casual setting. Choose from sizzling fajitas, tacos, enchiladas, burritos, and a wide variety of seafood dishes.
- If you are looking for a fast and filling meal after a day of exploring, Skosh has you covered. Their menu has something for everyone from gourmet burgers with crispy fries (plain or loaded!), fish tacos, salads, cheesesteak, or ribeye sandwiches, to milkshakes and brownies.
- Yachats Brewing + Farmstore is a casual, award-winning market and eatery serving burgers, vegetarian dishes, salads, rotating ciders and brewing sodas/kombuchas on tap, and craft beers. They also serve a delicious brunch on Sunday.
- Planning a night in at your cozy Meredith Lodging rental? Pick up a pizza at Grand Central Pizza. The menu has a broad range of options besides the delicious pizza, including sandwiches, burgers, salads, and the best sweet potato fries in town. Oh, and don’t forget to order the garlic rolls!
Ready for a quiet and relaxing coastal getaway?
You can view our entire Waldport and Yachats vacation rentals collection online or call our Reservations Team at 877.778.9055 to book your stay. We hope to see you soon! In the meantime, follow us on social and tag those vacay posts #STAYWITHMEREDITH.