Thor’s Well is one of Oregon’s most unique and popular attractions. This “well” in the rocks set along the mighty Pacific Ocean is a must-see if you are visiting the scenic Cape Perpetua Area on the Oregon Coast.
Here are a few things to know before planning your visit to this impressive geological wonder:
So, what is it?
Known as the “drainpipe of the Pacific”, Thor’s Well is a large sinkhole off the coast of the Pacific Ocean. The theory is the well was originally a cave. Years of water erosion caused the roof of the cave to collapse, leaving a large, bottomless hole in the rock bed. Today, the hole is said to be about 20 feet deep. At high tide, waves come up from the bottom causing impressive, geyser-like waves to shoot up and out of this natural phenomenon.
How to get there?
Thor’s Well is located right off Highway 101/Oregon Coast Highway just outside of Yachats. From the parking lot, you’ll need to walk down a short path to get up close. Do note that the lot is small, and does fill up quickly at peak viewing times. If the lot is full, you can park at Devils Churn, and take the footpath leading over to Thor’s Well.
Best time to visit?
The best time to visit Thor’s Well is at high tide, or when there’s a storm passing through (but be extra careful!). You can check the tide schedule here.
If you can’t visit at high tide, any time of day will still reward you with breathtaking views of the Pacific Ocean.
Additional Tips for Visiting Thor Well:
- Wear good shoes as you will be walking on jagged and slippery volcanic rock!
- Be prepared to get wet. Thor’s Well spouts out water and mist, and you will be stepping on wet rocks with puddles too.
- Take care when exploring, check the tides, and be aware of sneaker waves and ever-changing weather.
- Someone in your group has mobility issues, or the weather is looking precarious? You can still view Thor’s Well from the parking lot.
- If time and weather permit, explore Cook’s Chasm, Devils Churn and other stunning viewpoints along the trail too.
Ready to book your Oregon Adventures? (We’re Open!)
Meredith Lodging can help you find your perfect Yachats vacation home! You can browse our Yachats vacation rentals online at MeredithLodging.com, or call our Reservations Team at 877.778.9055. Looking for some tips for best places to eat, drink and explore in Yachats/Waldport? Check out our blog here! We hope to see you soon!