More people than ever before are Working from Home (WFH) and more kiddos than ever are attending online school.
While these circumstances can feel challenging, there is a silver lining –as long as you have an internet connection, you and your household can work from anywhere, and a Meredith Lodging Oregon Coast or Central Oregon vacation rental is a beautiful option! Taking your daily routine on the road can put a smile on everyone’s face and a change of scenery can really boost the spirits of your while family AND improve productivity. Not sure where to start or what to look for when booking a Work From Home (WFH)/Online School getaway? We have assembled our top list of tips to help you get started.
Top Tips for Choosing a Work From Home Destination and Preparing for Your Trip
- Make it easy! Choose a destination that is easily reachable by car.
- Make it Fun. Choose a location that has lots of activities right outside your door. Accessibility is key to making those school and work breaks (Recess on the beach! Take a bike ride break in Sunriver!) memorable and fun.
- Location, location, location. Pick a location that places you in the middle of Oregon’s natural beaty, with plenty of fresh air and wide-open spaces right outside your door.
- Learn on the way AND at your destination. See if there are any sites you can stop and explore safely on the way and make sure to research a little about local historical sites and nature adventures nearby once you arrive.
- Think about proximity to convenience. Choose a location with a proximity to grocery stores and other conveniences that meet your needs.
- Hype your destination a little bit before departure. Read up about where you will be going. Let each person choose an activity the whole family can participate in. Having a plan gives everyone something to look forward to!
- Pack strategically. Remember this is more of a change of scenery than a traditional vacation. You may want to bring more groceries than you usually would to minimize outings, make sure you have the right clothes for the weather forecast. Also consider bringing extra chargers or any other equipment you need to make your WFH/Online school set-up work for you.
What to Look for in an Oregon Vacation Rental When Working Remotely/Attending Online School
- You’ve got bandwidth! Make sure your home has WIFI (99% of Meredith Lodging homes do!)
- Room to work & Learn. If each person in your party needs to have their own space to work/attend school, be sure to choose a house with enough bedrooms and other workspaces to accommodate that. Many homes have desks in the bedrooms, and you can utilize dining room tables and other tables for workspace, too.
- A well-equipped kitchen. You will be making lots of meals at home during these times, make sure you have a kitchen and eating area that meets your needs.
- Traveling with your pod? Make sure each household has dedicated bedrooms and (ideally) a dedicated bathroom for each household and that they are used only by those they are assigned to.
- Look for homes with outdoor space/outdoor covered spaces you can enjoy. Gathering outside is safe and fun! Look for decks/yards with firepits to keep you cozy – and outdoor hot tubs are always a hit!
- Book a home with a view! Choose a home with a relaxing view of the ocean, the mountains, the woods, the river, or the golf course – having inspiring views right outside your door makes you relax and feel like you are on vacation, even when you are working. And the short commute to happy hour is enhanced by a beautiful view, too!
- Look for homes with space for kiddos to play! Many of our homes have pool tables, ping pong tables, foosball – and lots of bikes for family fun. Booking a home with these kinds of spaces puts smiles on those sweet faces!