Meredith Lodging’s Top Tips for World Class Whale Watching in Depoe Bay!
Did you know that the Oregon Coast is considered one of the best places to whale watch in the world?!? When these magnificent mammals make their annual migration and return, Depoe Bay is one of the best places in the world to visit if you want to see them. You can go out with one of the charter groups for your chance to get up close and personal with these powerful beings, or simply rent an oceanfront Depoe Bay vacation rental and watch for whale spouts from the comfort of your vacation home. We have assembled our top tips for planning a whale of a vacation (see what we did there?) and everything you need to know when you stay with Meredith Lodging for your Depoe Bay Whale Watching vacation.
- Timing is everything. The Oregon Coast is a great bet for seeing whales many times during the year, but there are some times that are better than others. Plan your trip from mid-March to the end of May and you will be treated to the sight of gray whales migrating back to Alaska from Mexico, hugging the coastline as they go. Keep your eyes peeled for Mama whales and their calves, who often prefer to swim closer to shore. From May to the end of the summer, resident whales (ones who call the Oregon Coast home for months at a time) stay close to the shore for feeding. After the Summer months, your best bet is to plan a vacation sometime between December and early February, as the whales will begin to head down to the warmer waters off Mexico. During this time, they tend to stay farther offshore, so a charter trip will really boost your chances of a memorable sighting.
- Pick your perfect home base and book a stay in Depoe Bay. A stay in a Meredith Lodging Depoe Bay vacation rental will put you close to all the action. From spotting whales from the shore, to being in close proximity to the Whale Watching Center and all the charters, a Depoe Bay stay is a must.
- Make friends with the pros. A visit to the The Depoe Bay Whale Watching Center is a wonderful place to expand your knowledge about these impressive mammals (you might even spot whales from their location!) – and it is also on the National Register of Historic Places. Find this facility on the seawall in Depoe Bay. Park staff is at the ready to answer any questions you may have.
- Choose your charter. If you really want to make sure you have your best chance to see a whale up close, booking a whale watch charter is the way to go. You and your loved ones will never forget watching a 40-ton whale breach up and out of the water! Here are some whale charter companies we recommend:
- Whale Research Eco-excursions. For a fun and educational experience, we recommend signing up for a tour with Whale Research Eco-excursions in Depoe Bay, OR. These excursions are led by expert marine biologists on zodiac boats, which are rated #1 in safety and extremely comfortable. You can look forward to seeing giant whales, sea lions, seals, seabirds, and more!
- Tradewind Charters Whale Watching and Fishing has been in business since 1938. A premier charter service that provides fun and interactive whale watching adventures for all. Tours are led by warm and knowledgeable staff members aboard a modern, fully equipped vessel. This company is known for making participants feel like one of the crew.
- Whale’s Tail Charters LLC is also a great bet. Offering everything from scenic tours to custom whale watching trips, guests will love the experience of riding in a comfortable zodiac boat while an experienced guide navigates toward known whale viewing areas.
- Dockside Charters, Inc offers a range of ocean adventures, including deep-sea fishing and whale watching excursions. Guests board their 50-foot Delta charter boats (with heated cabins, restrooms, indoor seating!) featuring plenty of outdoor seating. This charter service can also accommodate large group sizes, so a great bet when the whole family wants to participate.
- Warm-up before and after with local favorite coffee and hot chocolate from Left Coast Coffee Roasters. Some of the best coffee on the coast is right in Depoe Bay. Left Coast has a Depoe Bay café located across the street from a great seawall viewing point. We like to start all our mornings with a stop at Left Coast!
Need help planning your Oregon Coast whale-watching getaway? Meredith Lodging’s knowledgeable Reservations Team can help you find and book the perfect stay. View Meredith Lodging’s Depoe Bay collections at MeredithLodging.com or call us at 877.778.9055. Learn more about the charming community of Depoe Bay on the Depoe Bay Chamber’s excellent website, Discover Depoe Bay.